Greenhouse Film Ships FREE to lower 48 States
**NOTE: Plastic is cut to order. Current lead time to cut is 6-10 Business Days.**
Expedited Shipping is not available for Greenhouse Plastic
Greenhouse cover can be cut to custom sizes. If you don't see the size of greenhouse film you are looking for please contact us.
Bootstrap Farmer sells one of the best greenhouse plastic products available. Our manufacturer uses a 5 layer film technology for additional strength and longevity. The UVA protection gives the greenhouse plastic a 4 year rating & warranty.
Greenhouse Plastic Features:
- Clear 6 mil polyethylene film
- Anti dust protection - Reduces absorption of dust for long lasting transmittance
- 4 Year Rating & Warranty
- Light transmittance > 90%
- Light Diffusion 20%
- 4 Year Warranty makes this plastic NRCS Preferred
- Most pieces are custom cut to specification. During the months of September - October please allow up to 9 business days pre-shipment as we can back up with large order volume. (Expedited shipping is not available)
The 5 layer technology in our UV resistant greenhouse plastic allows it to have high mechanical strength and flexibility.
Our greenhouse film is designed with a high 90% light transmittance. This is the amount of light that is able to pass through your greenhouse. High light transmission is essential to allow your plants to thrive.
Diffusion of Light
The greenhouse film's diffusion allows light to be scattered around your hoop house. This allows your plants to get even lighting in all areas inside your structure. Diffused light is particularly important for tall or self shading plants that typically would get uneven light exposure in direct sunlight. This enables you to have fuller and more even growth.
Sizing Greenhouse Plastic
The best way to size your greenhouse plastic width is to measure around the frame of your greenhouse once the structure is built.
To estimate your plastic width before your greenhouse is build you can do the following:
- Count the number of poles you will be using to build each arch.
- Measure the length of each pole and multiple by the number of poles
- Determine the height of your finished ground posts
- Add 2 times the height of your ground posts
Example: For example if you are building a 20 foot wide greenhouse you will be using 3 - 10 foot poles for each arch. If your ground posts are 4 feet high you will need 8 additional feet (4 feet x 2) . Therefore you will need [3 x 10 feet (hoops)] + [4 x 2 feet (ground posts)] + 4 feet (extra for any variation or for roll up sides) = 42 Feet wide.
To estimate the length of your greenhouse plastic follow the steps below
- Measure the length of your greenhouse
- Estimate the height of the top of your hoops
- Add length of your greenhouse + 2 times the height of your greenhouse
Example: Length of greenhouse is 100 feet. Total height of greenhouse will be 13 feet. You will need 100 Feet (length of greenhouse) + 2 x 13 feet (height of greenhouse) + 4 Feet (extra for any variations) = 130 feet long.
The tables below are estimates based on standard hoop house sizes. Other greenhouse styles should be measured.
Benefits of Greenhouse Coverings
Direct light from the sun is less than ideal for most plants. Direct light means that no particles in the atmosphere or coverings are causing the light of the sun to be dispersed. This can lead to scorch, uneven heating and shadowing of nearby plants. On a cloudy or overcast day you will notice a lack of shadows. This is due to light being dispersed in many different directions. Clear greenhouse plastic acts in a similar fashion to the clouds but allows much more light through. The poly film converts the direct sunlight into a more evenly distributed and dispersed light in your greenhouse. This allows the light to penetrate deeper into your plants which improves your yields.
Greenhouse plastic not only helps your with light dispersion but creates a more uniform temperate inside your hoop house. Direct sunlight causes hot spots on your plants. Think of standing outside in the direct sunlight on a hot sunny day. Once the sun goes behind a cloud you feel much cooler. Your plants feel the same way. Areas that are getting the direct sunlight can be subject to sun scorch while the shaded parts of the plants are nice and cool. This can cause die-off and stress on parts of your plants that are over exposed to direct sunlight. Having light dispersion creates a more consistent temperature for your plants which enables more uniform growth.
How Not to Buy Greenhouse Plastic
When buying greenhouse plastic be sure not to get it from a local hardware store such as Home depot or Lowes. Yes, they sell cheap 6 mil plastic film but this is Not UV stabilized. You will be lucky to get 4 months of use out of this plastic before it disintegrates and you will have a mess of torn and brittle plastic to clean up. Any greenhouse plastic that you buy you want to make sure that it is UV stabilized.
Bootstrap Farmer's 6 mil clear greenhouse plastic has 89% light transmittance to bring plenty of diffused light into your structure for healthier and happier plants.
Longitudinal tensile strength: 23 MPa.
Breaking tensile strength transverse: 22 MPa.
Breaking Elongation: 680%
Longitudinal tear strength: 8.4kg./ mm
Transverse tear strength: 11.5kg./ mm
Impact strength: 1200g
Light transmittance: 90%
Scattering rate: 20%
UV blocking: 95% / 350nm
Shipping and Returns
Free shipping on all our greenhouse film. We want to be as transparent with our prices as possible so we don't want to surprise you with high shipping costs at checkout.
All of our greenhouse plastic is custom cut for you. Please allow us up to 9 business days to ship your product so our team has time ensure everyone gets their exact specifications. Based on your location, you should receive your plastic in about 14 business days during our busy season (Sept - October).
Because each order is custom cut we can not accept returns once the item has shipped.
Expedited Shipping is not available for Greenhouse Plastic
Shipping Via Motor Freight (semi)
Rolls over 120 lbs must ship via motor freight. We will notifiy you if your order requires this shipping method.
A few things to be aware of on orders shipping motor freight (semi):
- Someone must be available at the shipping location to receive the order and must be able to unload it.
- If the customer uses the lift gate on the truck, the motor freight company will charge up $125 depending on the freight company, for which you will be responsible.
- If there is any noticeable damage to products, please note this on the bill of lading that the driver will have the customer sign.
- If the shipping address is a residential address, the semi will need to be able to get into your neighborhood with room to turn around. If not, we can make arrangements for the terminal to hold the order for you to pick up.